Thursday, March 29, 2012

A walking tour of Saigon District 1 (map info)

I%26#39;ve crafted a walking loop around Saigon that I%26#39;ve often recommended and walked myself many times. The map, major attractions and suggested route are at noexpectations.com.au/articles/a-walk-around鈥?/a>





Nothing new for old Saigon hands, but hopefully useful for those planning a first trip.





Cheers, --Kip





A walking tour of Saigon District 1 (map info)


Kip,





Great info!!!.





Thanks



A walking tour of Saigon District 1 (map info)


Hi Kip,



Thanks for your link, very good.



Do you know what shops and restaurants are near the Metropole Hotel?



Cheers,



Stewie.




Stewie, sorry, can%26#39;t help with that one - don%26#39;t know the Metropole in Saigon. Hopefully others can advise specifically.





I have a couple of places I visit consistently (all in the similar area to the map).





Jaspas for breakfast (its western brekkie and very expat - but after a week of Pho for breakfast its good for change). Dong Khoi St.





Temple Club. Vietnamese fusion food, if that makes sense. Its a fav. I just navigate to it by nose so I can%26#39;t tell you the address.





Lemon Grass. Good food.





However - mostly I just explore and end up eating in a restaurant that looks popular with the locals. Vietnamese cooking uses fresh ingredients, lightly prepared and generally of good quality. There%26#39;s a very high chance that there are lots of such places around your hotel.





The places around the map I posted are at the upper end (not necessarily very expensive - just upper end for Vietnam). There are a ton of good eateries in the backpackers area too - sort of opposite Ben Thanh market in a several block area.





Not much help I%26#39;m afraid - hopefully others will chip in.





Cheers, --Kip




Hi Stewie,



I%26#39;m staying at the Metropole in a couple of weeks so I%26#39;ll post what I found near by when I get back.



K-L




Oh, and Kip, thanks for the link and your tour -





I%26#39;ve printed it out to take with me!



I think I%26#39;ll definitely have to extend the time it takes since I%26#39;ll be walking with my 18 month old AND shopping at the market!





I%26#39;m so excited now - 10 sleeps to go!




Hi,





I keep getting a stupid error message when I click on the saigon district 1 route - something like %26#39;does not support older browsers%26#39;.





Care to send me your link to my email @ aprilsky18@gmail.com





Will be going to S %26amp; N vietnam on 20/11.would greatly appreciate all help. thank you





Pia




daddyankeemeister, sorry about that. Basically the software that runs my site doesn%26#39;t support Internet Explorer versions before Version 7. Older versions, like Version 6 or Version 5 just don%26#39;t format anything properly. Since I wrote the software you can blame me :-)





Now I did have a bug that sometimes thought a version 7 browser was in fact a version 6 and didn%26#39;t let that person pass go. So it%26#39;s possible thats happening here - even though I thought that bug was squashed.





Otherwise I%26#39;m sorry to say that you would have to download and install one of the more recent browsers (which is a good idea anyway).





Feel free to PM any time,





Regards,





--Kip




Hi Kipcole9,





Sorry, as it%26#39;s my office computer, I%26#39;m not allowed to install any new version. Would you be able to recommend the walking ard distric 1, just by writing it out?





thank you





Pia




Some small improvement for IE6 users (you really should move to version 7!). I can at least provide a way for you to see the map in Google maps:





maps.google.com/鈥?/a>





Cheers, --Kip




That%26#39;s a good tour Kip - Saigon isn%26#39;t the best city in the world for walking but your route is fairly pedestrian-friendly!





The Metropole Hotel is located just out of the city centre on Tran Hung Dao. However it is just a couple of mins from the far end of the backpacker district - Bui Vien st has loads of restaurants, cafes, bars %26amp; shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment