Saturday, April 21, 2012

Advice on backpacking SE Asia

Hello,





I am planning to take about 6 months and see Asia and Eastern Europe.





I%26#39;m from the States and have traveled a good bit in W Europe, the Caribbean, and Central America but have never been to Asia.





My basic plans are to do Japan or China for 2-3 weeks, then go to SE Asia for 4-6 weeks, possibly see Tibet, and then finish in Eastern Europe.





Budget is a bit of a concern and I%26#39;ll generally be staying in Hostels.





I%26#39;ve never traveled like this as I have generally been a traveler to stay in Hotels and only be gone two weeks at a time. The general itinerary would be to see the mainland of Thailand, Vitenem, Cambodia and possibly Laos. Might get into Thailand%26#39;s peninsula as well.





In any case... can anyone who has been to SE Asia give me thoughts on budgets, the amount of time necessary to see the country, and the security of the lockers at the Hostels (I am considering bringing a nice camera and a small laptop that I don%26#39;t want to carry all the time, so I may leave them at the Hostel locker)?





Thank you



Advice on backpacking SE Asia


In SE Asia the guesthouses are so cheap you will not need to stay in a hostel, but as far as the security of leaving valuables anywhere, well - I think you%26#39;re really asking for problems!



Advice on backpacking SE Asia


Thank you




Hi, I traveled for three weeks in SE Asia in Sept. Food and lodging are very inexpensive. I agree with the other post that guesthouses are quite comfortable. In Cambodia and Laos you could spend as little as $10 a night for a room with private bath. Hotel in Siem Reap even had a pool and free internet in the lobby. You can easily eat for $10 a day.





I had a laptop and camera. I put it in my luggage when I left the room, but never had any problems.





I liked Laos very much and there are similar things to see as you would find in Thailand but many of the people I spoke with enjoyed Laos more than Thailand.





Enjoy your travels.




Hi TravelerCharlotteNC





Not so safe to leave your valuable at most lockers at SE asia.





Don%26#39;t push your luck





Cheers




Thank you both. I am hearing great things about Laos and probably will just bring my smaller, cheaper camera just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment