Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Women's clothing: appropriateness/comfort (HCMC to Hanoi)

I%26#39;ve heard that women should be ';covered up'; when visiting the temples--are long skirts sufficient (calf-length) or must ankle-length pants be worn? What is the style of dress in HCMC/HoiAn/Hanoi? I don%26#39;t want to stick out or be disrespectful. Lastly, I plan on visiting beaches--i will (obv) bring a swimsuit, but it is a two-piece and I have visible tattoos--any thoughts? Also--(sorry)-- would I be okay wearing a dress OVER a swimsuit to a restaurant, were i to go right from the beach on phu quoc--or is it more ';upscale';?





THANKS MUCH!



Women's clothing: appropriateness/comfort (HCMC to Hanoi)


We found on the whole it%26#39;s pretty casual, though conservative, especially the older ladies. I would say the calf-length skirt would be fine (while shorts are not), but make sure your arms are covered by sleeves (even short sleeves) or a wrap. Thinking about it, it%26#39;s more bare shoulders than arms that are objected to in temples. I can%26#39;t see why you can%26#39;t wear a dress over bathers and don%26#39;t think two piece or tattoos is going to be an issue. ( I%26#39;m trying to imagine what an INvisible tattoo looks like ;-D)



Women's clothing: appropriateness/comfort (HCMC to Hanoi)


HAHAAA! Re: tattoos, I meant visible in the sense that one is on my ring finger, one on my wrist, and another covering an entire shoulder...so visible in the sense that my coworkers see a couple of them daily in general office attire...wasn%26#39;t sure if I should wear a ring over the finger or sleeves when I go out at night...many people in the US are weird about tattoos, esp on women, so I wasn%26#39;t sure what you thought about it over there :) Thanks so much for all the information...i%26#39;m finding it nauseating to pack!




I always carry a long sleeve voile shirt in my bag comes in handy. Usually only have shorts (not short shorts)and a singlet top on when I am travelling or touring.



I usually have a two piece on at the beach and just put a dress over the top or a sarong and singlet to go to a restaurant. In fact my whole attire for Phu quoc consistered of sarongs wrapped around as skirts and tops.Even at night.




THANK YOU! I appreciate your assistance.






I don’t think I saw 2 piece swim suits there. On the beach, local people wear regular pull over (T-shirts) with sleeve and long pants and hats. ROFL. I had a 1 piece swim suit. I looked too different from them so I wore short pants outside the swim suit ;-)



Phu Quoc Island has a lot Caucasians and I saw bikinis everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment