Monday, April 16, 2012

Using the TA Search facility---plover



Hi Guys,



I thought I would raise this topic again to help newcomers make their searching easier! I am not intending to any way be rude, just helpful.



Over the years, many of the same questions are asked and people have courtesly responded----a huge, broad cross section of opinions.



In the top left hand side of the page is a box called '; Search';.



I have just typed in the following questions as examples---



'; What currency should I use in Vietnam';-----77 responses.



'; What Junk should I use to Halong Bay'; ------93 responses.



'; Should I go to Hanoi or HCMC----694 responses.



ETC, ETC, ETC



In addition to this you can type in the name of any poster then search---up will come his / her travel history. Or you can just click on the posters name and up will come a large number of his / her posts!



The Facility is not perfect , but you will get opinions , experiences, ideas from at least the last 3 years!



I hope this suggestion allows newcomers to gather information more quickly!



Good Luck!



plover







Using the TA Search facility---plover




Here are some more,



'; What hotel should I stay in Hoi An';-----489 responses.



'; Should I travel by bus, plane or train';----76 responses.



'; How many Days should I stay in Hoi An and Hue';-----153 responses.



'; What is the best way to get from Hue to Hoi An';----456 responses



Just about every conceivable question has been asked!



The one thing that one should note is how current the response is!----Vietnam changes day by day!----But, general '; Hard Ciore'; information is there!



plover



Using the TA Search facility---plover


Thank you plover for you never ending assistance



One point that as a new poster that I have noticed, there are so many very old posts that go back to 2006.



Some of these are very outdated It would be great if some of the out of date could be removed this would save a lot of searching.



Another thing that I have noticed is a lack of reviews, the posts made by tripper are fantastic but it would be great if other than hotel reviews are used also.



eg a review for ';Hoi An Tailors';would cover a lot of the posts.



Just a thought!!






Hi Freckl,



Our posts just crossed!!!----that is a weakness in the facility, I agree ----but there are many posters who have posted reviews, video%26#39;s, pictures!------Just click on a posters name that comes up regularly and check his / her reviews!



plover






That is a good tip Plover - I now click on a posters name to see how often they have posted and what they have posted about. A first time poster making a recommendation seems strange to me????



You are right - there are often many posts re the same/similar questions you are wanting answered. You do need to check though, how recent these posts are.






Freckl Again,



I just typed in ';An An hotel in HCMC'; -----2747 responses---BUT, on the left hand side of the new page that opens, you can refine the search to reviews of this hotel ---209 reviews in this case , because it is popular!



You can search other hotels, and get the same much more condensed versions!



plover










Sorry Guys,



I know this is a little off topic, but there are literally thousands of posts on Taxi scams and questions about getting from the Airport to the city ( Hanoi and HCMC ). I answered this question in 1996 and it is still current. When I arrive , I DO NOT go to the ';Arrivals'; for a taxi, I walk to the '; Departures'; section and pick up a cab that has just dropped somebody off!---I negotiate the fare quite easily, the driver cannot believe his luck ---the scammers are all waiting at ';Arrivals';---the driver does not have to get back in the line and fight for a fare!



thoughts



plover






Sorry ---an error in my previous post ---2006 not 1996---I only went first to VN in 1998. Forgive me!




If we can%26#39;t forgive you Plover.............. :-)




Plover - ';where should I go'; gets 127 pages!




and ';email for Bich Duyen'; gets 5 pages';.





thank you, Plover

No comments:

Post a Comment