Thursday, April 19, 2012

Buying clothes in Vietnam (off the rack)--size issues????

I%26#39;m a woman who wears a US size 8 or 10...a friend of mine who briefly lived in Hanoi told me to forget about buying any clothes off the rack in Vietnam unless I%26#39;m a size 2/4...which I am not. Any thoughts on this???? True? False? Had planned on packing light.



Buying clothes in Vietnam (off the rack)--size issues????


Im not up on Us sizes but I am an average person perhaps could lose a couple of Kilos and I cant buy off the rack clothes.



What I do is start off with full luggage and take older clothes especially T/shirts and Singlets enough to get me through a trip and then throw or give them away.



It is easy to get clothes made, sometimes overnight, I always end up taking home the same amount.



Sarongs wrapped around as skirts make instant clothing and can be any length you want.



Buying clothes in Vietnam (off the rack)--size issues????


It%26#39;s a fact of life that most of the off the peg clothes in Vietnam are intended for the domestic market who are on the whole shorter and of a slighter stature-put it down to a better diet and more exercise!!




Hi there





I think in some places you will get things off the peg but I wouldn%26#39;t worry the tailors (especially in Hoi An) are brilliant. You will be able to buy made to measure clothes, your own design for less than you wold pay for off the peg at home. All ready within 24 hours, shoes as well. Just choose a good quality tailor (like Yali in Hoi An0 and enjoy the experience!





cheers



LW-UK :-)




I wear a UK size 10 to 12 so suspect we%26#39;re about the same size. It is possible to buy clothes in my size if you know where to go but be prepared to bite the bullet and look at things market XXL or, if you%26#39;re lucky, XL.



Local retailers such as Nino Maxx and a number of other fashion type stores do extend to our sizes. In the backpacker area of HCMC you will find a number of retailers targetting tourists in need of emergency clothing suppliers, apart from the ubiquitous Vietnamese Flag or Uncle Ho t-shirts it%26#39;s perfectly easy to find tshirts, blouses, skirts, shorts and trousers. There is one next to Stella Cafe and across the road from Souza where I%26#39;ve picked up a few things over the years and Silk and Silk who have several outlets in the same area carry a stock of ';larger'; silk and cotton embroidered items.




THANKS! Funny to think of size 8 as XXL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment