Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review of tailors: Mr. Xe and Tony the tailor

I just got back from Hoi An and had 3 suits and a number of shirts made. Here are my views on the shops, staff, and quality.





Mr. Xe



Sales staff: 2 cute girls who are clearly used to flirting their way into making a sale. Quite touchy with men but fairly helpful.





Material selection: lots of good quality material for suits. Plenty of selection in higher end fabric. Not a lot of options for dress shirt material. I bought mine elsewhere.





Quality: It took 4 fittings to finally get it perfect but the end result is very nice. They were reluctant to admit that a problem existed and I had to be very firm in insisting a flaw be fixed before I would pay. In the end, they got it right and I am happy.





Price: Higher than some but I paid based on his reputation. 120 for his best fabric. This was very cheap compared to Thu Thuoy and Yaly.





TONY the tailor:



Sale staff: I dealt with an older lady and a younger lady at various times. The older lady was great and very helpful. Didn%26#39;t pressure for a sale and was willing to accept that alterations are needed. The younger girl tried to overcharge me twice during the process and got upset when I caught her. Be aware of this and check your numbers carefully.





Material Selection:



Few options for suits than Mr. Xe%26#39;s shop but you can find something nice here. Some decent dress shirt materials.





Quality: They did a nice job. Needed some alterations but required only 2 fittings per suit which was nice. They seem to like making things very tight. Positive experience overall.





Price: Cheap. 70-80USD per suit. I didn%26#39;t have an easy time finding cheaper in the shops. Can%26#39;t go wrong at this price.





One other thing, check your buttons carefully. All these shops seems to just toss the buttons on quickly and they never line up.





Happy Shopping and let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment